This section will walk you through a simple example, to quickly give you insights about one of the most important data sources in your organization: your source control systems. You’ll be up and running with 3 simple steps:
- Connect your source control systems to Faros (we’ll use GitHub as an example)
- Organize your data
- Visualize your data
- Navigate to the Sources page
- Click Add SourceSelect the source you want to connect. To narrow down the choices, select a category on the left hand side.
- Give your source a name and choose how you'll authenticate Make any changes to the source's configuration (if you'd like) then press Submit!
You can examine logs from the latest sync by navigating to
Sources in the navigation panel on the left, and selecting your newly created source. You can also enable/disable the source, edit it, or force a new sync by choosing the appropriate action under the
Assigning ownership is a way to signal to Faros which boards, repos, ect are of interest to your organization. For now we'll assign the entities we care about to 'all_teams'. Once your team structure exists in Faros you can assign entities to the correct team.
You can assign ownership for up to four Faros entities, depending on which Faros Modules your company is using: Repositories, Boards, Pipelines, Applications.
- Navigate to one of the ownership pages
- Select items of interest
- Drag those items to 'all_teams'
- When you're done hit the
Savebutton Return to your Sources and select the
sync nowmenu item for the source you're working with. Faros pulls in more detailed data for entities that have been assigned.
- Repeat with the other entities you have set up!
At this point it is also possible to inspect your data by building simple dashboards.
- In the Dashboards menu, navigate to Create > New Question
- Select Faros Visualization Data as your data then play around with building out a chart
You need to have your organization structure set up in Faros before the pre-created dashboards will work. The next sections of this guide will walk you through organizing your data and give you more detailed information on dashboards.
Updated 15 days ago